Basic Mediation Training entails a minimum of 30 instructional hours, generally taught over a four day period. The training is a balance of theory and practice, and focuses on a facilitative style of mediation in which the parties are generally kept in the same room and caucus is a tool within the process. Trainers use diverse teaching methods including classroom-style presentations, demonstration role plays, videos, active learning exercises, and outside readings. The training addresses specific Nebraska statutes and Nebraska’s ethical standards for mediators. During training, there are several opportunities to role play simulated mediation sessions. All role players are provided feedback from experienced mediator/coaches in 4:1 ratio.
- Overview of conflict theory
- Dealing with emotions
- Mediator standards and ethics
- Models of intervention for conflict situations
- Communication skills and their effective use in mediation
- Cross-cultural implications and bias awareness
- Theory and application of interest-based mediation
- Theory of interest-based negotiation and relationship to mediation
- Theory of interest-based mediation and when it can be used effectively
- Simulation mediation role plays
Who Should Attend — This training is designed for anyone interested in learning how to assist others in resolving their issues. It also provides an opportunity for those desiring to improve their communication and negotiation process skills as a means to enhance personal and professional development. Those interested in developing referrals and alternative dispute resolution systems will also benefit from this course.
This training satisfies the statutory requirements of the Nebraska Dispute Resolution Act.
Prerequisite — None (This training is the prerequisite for advanced and specialized mediation training.)
Registration — $900 ($850 if already an NMA member) Registration includes a guided note-taking workbook; experienced/active mediators to serve as coaches during role plays; lunches, and refreshments during training; and the first year of membership in Nebraska Mediation Association.
Upcoming Training Dates:
- July 24-27, 2018; Lincoln
- September 24-27, 2018; Scottsbluff
Training days start at 8:30 a.m. and end at 4:30 p.m.
Register now for basic mediation training.